Labor pain is the most difficult type of pain. There are two reasons for pain during labor. Emotional and functional reasons. The most important cause of emotional pain is fear and lack of information. These factors cause more pain during birth. Another reason is the functional ones, such as uterine contraction, opening of the uterine canal, and the baby falling down. When such causes are transmitted to the brain, they cause pain.
Nowadays, women who give birth are much more fortunate. In today’s conditions, painless birth can be done thanks to epidural delivery. This method is successfully performed both during normal birth and cesarean section.
How is an epidural birth done?
The anesthesiologist is informed about the procedure to be performed to the expectant mother. Any questions of the expectant mother are answered. Then, the delivery room will take place. The expectant mother is laid on her left side, Or she sits, her chin is on her chest, her arms are crossed over her shoulders, and she bends forward and hunches as far as possible. The process must be done quickly in order not to move and stay still. For this reason, the application is made by talking verbally with the mother, and the mother is relieved.
Epidural birth stages
– In the first stage, the application area on the mother’s back is wiped with antiseptic liquid and made ready for sterile condition. This is done in order to prevent possible infection. Since the liquid is at room temperature, it may be cold for the mother.
– In the second stage, subcutaneous anesthetized with a fine needle. It is small like needles used by diabetics. The expectant mother does not feel much pain.
– In the third stage, a catheter is inserted into the epidural area with the help of a blunt-tipped needle and medication is given. While this process is being applied, the mother should not move for a minute or two. The catheter is a very thin probe. The remaining places after the catheter are glued up to the shoulder with special plasters. Medication is given here as needed during the procedure. The catheter is removed after the delivery is over, when the mother’s pain is gone.
Epidural delivery should not be done:
– For those who are mentally unstable
– In severe low blood pressure
– In case of infection in the area to be injected
– Those with brain tumors
– It is not suitable for those who have blood coagulation problems.
Benefits of epidural delivery
– It is the best method to relieve birth pains.
– Since the mother is conscious, she can attend the birth and hold her baby during the surgery.
– The risk is less than general anesthesia.
– Psychological relaxation, no muscle spasm problem
– You will not be tired while giving birth, so you can feed your baby immediately.
– The application does not make you stun, it does not prevent you from gassing.
– You can walk after the application.
– If applied at the right time, it further accelerates the progression of normal birth.
Risks in epidural delivery
– When anesthesia is performed by experienced specialists, the risks in epidural birth are generally low.
– The most common effect is lowering of blood pressure. To prevent this, one liter of fluid is injected through the vascular access and the vascular access is filled.
– Headache may occur during the procedure.
– Skin rashes may occur due to medications.
– Rarely, prolongation of labor due to lack of straining
– At the end of the procedure, temporary difficulties may occur in urination. When the process is applied by experienced people, it is extremely rare to encounter such problems. Epidural delivery is extremely comfortable compared to other delivery methods. It has been applied for 25 years. All expectant mothers should be informed about epidural delivery. It is the birth method with the least risk.
Epidural birth and its effect on babies:
There is no significant difference between general anesthesia properly performed for the baby and epidural cesarean section. However, epidural anesthesia is the most comfortable and safe delivery method that should be preferred in terms of the baby to relieve normal birth pain. It is the most effective birth applied in relieving the normal birth pain, which is the most common practice in the world.